The Victorian International Education Awards 2019 (VIEA 2019) are an initiative of the Victorian Government to support the international education sector and raise awareness of the benefits international students bring to the broader Victorian community.
By entering the VIEA 2019, you (the Applicant) agree to abide by the following terms and conditions set forth by the State of Victoria as represented by its Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (ABN 83 295 188 244) of 1 Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000 (Department).
Terms and conditions for international student categories
1. Entry is voluntary and open to students who are:
a. not an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia (except in the case of Applications for the Internationalisation Award); and
b. currently enrolled in a course being offered by a Victorian education institution (except in the case of Applicants for the International Alumnus of the Year Award).
2. Applicants must provide proof of their study visa, except in the case of:
a. Applicants for the International Alumnus of the Year Award who must provide evidence of study completed in Victoria; and
b. Applicants for the Internationalisation Award who must provide evidence of study being completed in Victoria, to the satisfaction of the Department.
3. There are seven (7) categories of VIEA 2019 for students (Categories). Each Category has specific eligibility and assessment criteria, as outlined, within the Student Award descriptions published at the Victorian International Education Awards 2019 portal (Criteria).
Submission of Applications
4. All Applications must be submitted online. Please visit the Study Melbourne website and follow the links to the Victorian International Education Awards 2019 portal to create an account and submit an Application. If you encounter problems submitting your Application electronically, please email: email@example.com
5. The closing date for submitting Applications is Friday 9 August 2019 at 11.59pm (Closing Date). Applications will not be accepted after the Closing Date except with the consent of the Department, which may be given or withheld at the Department’s absolute discretion.
6. It is the Applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the Applicant has selected the correct Category and submitted a fully completed Application form together with a submission addressing each of the Criteria for the selected Category, before the Closing Date.
7. All Applications (except in the case of Applicants for the International Alumnus of the Year Award) must be written by the student to which the Application relates and must provide evidence of enrolment as a student from the relevant Victorian education provider.
8. The Department reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of an Application and to disqualify any Applicant who tampers with the entry process or submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
9. There is no fee charged by the Department for accepting an Application however the Applicant is responsible for their own costs in relation to preparing and submitting the Application and, if selected as a Finalist, attending the Ceremony.
10. The Applicant warrants to the Department that the Applicant is the author of the Application and that the Application:
a. is not offensive, defamatory or inflammatory;
b. does not contain any incorrect, misleading or fraudulent information; and
c. does not infringe any third party’s intellectual property rights or breach any law.
Assessment of Applications
11. Applications will be assessed by a panel of governmental and industry representatives appointed by the Department (Judging Panel). The Judging Panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. The Judging Panel may in its absolute discretion refuse to accept (or disqualify) an Application that is incomplete, indecipherable, does not meet the specified Criteria or otherwise fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions. The Judging Panel may in its discretion, but is not obliged to, offer an Applicant the opportunity to reallocate their Application to a more suitable Category (if applicable).
13. All valid Applications will be assessed by the Judging Panel in accordance with the Criteria and in a competitive framework.
14. The Judging Panel will create a shortlist of finalists for each Category (Finalists). Finalists may be requested to attend an interview in person with the Judging Panel or via video conference.
15. The winner of each Category (Winner) will be announced at the 2019 Victorian International Education Awards Presentation Ceremony (Ceremony), to be held in November 2019, (with the location, date and time to be nominated by the Department). Finalists are encouraged to attend the Ceremony.
16. The Applicant agrees that if selected as a Finalist or Winner, the Applicant will work collaboratively with the Department and its representatives to promote the VIEA 2019 through a range of publicity and promotional materials to be distributed and published by the Victorian Government. Finalists and Winners may be required to participate in media interviews.
17. With the exception of the International Alumnus of the Year Category, each Winner will be awarded a tuition fee scholarship of up to AUD$10,000 to support their study activities at a Victorian education institution (Scholarship). The Winner of the Premier’s Award for International Student of the Year will receive an additional tuition fee Scholarship of up to AUD$10,000 to support their study activities at a Victorian education institution.
18. The Department will pay a Scholarship to the relevant Winner upon evidence being provided to the satisfaction of the Department that the cost of the claimed course fees and materials has been incurred by the Winner. The Scholarship funds may be paid in instalments, at the Department’s absolute discretion. Payment will be made by depositing the funds (in full or in part) directly into a bank account held in the name of the Winner with an Australian authorised deposit taking institution.
19. Scholarships must be applied wholly towards the cost of course fees and materials at a Victorian education institution. Scholarships are non-transferable and non-exchangeable.
20. Any amount of a Scholarship not claimed within 24 months from the date of the Ceremony will be forfeited. The Department accepts no responsibility in the event a Winner is unable to use the Scholarship funds or where the Scholarship funds are lost or stolen upon payment to the Winner.
Promotion of VIEA 2019
21. In submitting an Application, Applicants irrevocably give the State of Victoria permission to use their Application and information obtained during the application process, for the purpose of publicity and promotion of the VIEA 2019 by the Department including without limitation reproducing, publishing, adapting and communicating the whole or any part of the Application online, in any broadcast and print media, and in a range of materials by the Victorian Government (without the need to attribute authorship to the Applicant).
22. For the purposes of clause 21, the Applicant will not have the right to review or preapprove the Department’s use of the Application or information obtained during the application process (including without limitation use of the Applicant’s likeness) and the Applicant will not make any claim for payment or fees in relation to such use by the Department and releases the Department, its employees and agents from any liability arising out of such use.
Award Cancellation and Liability
23. The Department can cancel (in whole or in part), modify or terminate the VIEA 2019 if the VIEA 2019 are interfered with in any way or cannot be conducted as anticipated by the Department.
24. The Department will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, any consequential or indirect loss), cost or damage, personal injury or death which is suffered (whether or not due to the negligence of any person) in connection with the Applicant entering the VIEA 2019 or in connection with the acceptance of a Scholarship by a Winner, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (and, if so, that liability is limited to the minimum permitted by law).
25. The VIEA 2019 are governed by the laws of Victoria, Australia and clauses 9, 10, 16 and 21-27 (inclusive) survive the conclusion of the VIEA 2019.
27. To the extent that the Applicant’s Application includes any personal information (including without limitation an image capable of being identified as the Applicant’s likeness) the Applicant consents to the collection, use and disclosure of the Applicant’s personal information by the Department as part of administering the VIEA 2019 and for the use described in clause 21 above.