Victoria is home to:
- 10 universities
- 12 TAFEs
- 1,100+ private providers
- 13 internationally recognised medical research institutions
- 18 government-owned tertiary training institutes
- 14 agricultural research centres
Our universities rank in the world's best
Given Victoria’s status as the Education State, it should come as no surprise that Melbourne houses some of the best education providers and research facilities in Australia and the world.
- Melbourne is ranked as Australia’s Best Student City 2023 and Australia's most liveable city.
- Melbourne is home to Australia’s most reputable university, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings 2022. The University of Melbourne (ranked 45th) is the only Australian university to finish in the world’s top 50.
- The University of Melbourne is Australia’s highest ranked Australian university (34th) according to the Times Higher Education world university rankings for 2023) and the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2021.
- Monash University ranked 44th in place for the Times Higher Education world university rankings for 2023) and four other Victorian universities appear in the world’s Top 400.
- The University of Melbourne and Monash rank in the QS University Rankings 2023 Top 100. Another three of Victoria's universities placed in the Top 300.
- Monash University is ranked number one globally in the 2022 QS World University Rankings by Subject for Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
Victoria’s universities offer cutting-edge facilities, internationally engaged academic staff and outstanding graduate outcomes, as well as research expertise rated ‘above world standard’ across 96 disciplines in the Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) rankings.
Whether your study involves research, technical training, English language or business you will learn with the best to receive a world-class and rewarding student experience.
Outstanding research performance
Victorian university research performance is at or above world standard in the following areas:
- Physical Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Information and Computing Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Language, Communication and Culture.
Deakin University, Monash University and University of Melbourne are recognised for outstanding performance well above world standard in Medical and Health Sciences.
Monash University and the University of Melbourne are recognised for outstanding performance well above world standard in Engineering and Technology.
Visit the Study Melbourne course finder to find a course or scholarship at one of Victoria’s globally ranked universities.