On this page

  • Classes in Victoria are taught in English
  • ELICOS courses are accredited and offer flexible options for study
  • A short study tour might be a good way to improve your English skills and experience Victoria's many attractions at the same time

To study in Australia, you must be able to speak, write and understand English.

IELTS and TOEFL tests measure English language skills.

You may need to show your IELTS or TOEFL score when applying for a visa or when you apply for a course at a Victorian education provider such as a university or TAFE.

Even if you are studying English in your own country, a course in Victoria will ensure you are learning from Australian teachers. While you study, you can also experience Australian culture and practice your English skills in day-to-day life.

Learn more about IELTS for study and the TOEFL® test

ELICOS courses

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) are fully accredited by the government. An ELICOS course can help you prepare for an IELTS exam or you can take a more casual class. ELICOS schools offer classes for beginners and advanced learners.

ELICOS schools offer short courses that run for four weeks, or longer courses that may run for up to a year.

Study tours

A study tour can be a great way to learn English before you apply to an institution. For example a short study tour may English classes each day as well as experiencing some of Victoria's attractions. If you are working with an education agent, talk to them about study tours.

Want to learn about Aussie English?  Watch this video from Study Geelong for some great tips. Find more helpful videos for internationals students on the Study Geelong YouTube channel