Page last updated 21 Sep 2020

Study Melbourne is dedicated to supporting our international student community during this challenging time.

We share current and accurate information, and connect you to resources that can help. Through the Study Melbourne Student Centre, we can assist you to access services in the community, and provide free and confidential information, support and practical help.


Latest restriction advice: From 11:59pm on 13 September stage 4 restrictions will change.

  • The curfew across metropolitan Melbourne will be eased to 9pm to 5am.
  • Restrictions on public gatherings ease – 2 people or a household can meet outdoors for 2 hours maximum.
  • If you live alone or are a single parent with all your children under 18 you will be able to have 1 nominated visitor to your home.
  • From 11.59pm on Wednesday 16 September Third Step restrictions apply throughout regional Victoria.
  • Find out more about Victoria's current restrictions here.

Permitted Worker Scheme: From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, employers requiring their staff to attend a work site in Melbourne must issue a worker permit to their employees.

Details about the permitted work scheme including eligibility and the worker permit form are on the Business Victoria website.

Advice on face mask/covering: Everyone must wear a mask when they leave home, unless an exception applies. This is enforceable across regional Victoria from 11:59pm on Sunday 2 August

For more information on restrictions and face coverings, visit the DHHS website.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Worker support payment: The Victorian Government is providing one-off payments to financially support Victorian workers, including parents and guardians, who are required to self-isolate or quarantine due to coronavirus (COVID-19). For more information visit the DHHS website.

Utility relief grant scheme: Relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills are available to low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship. The grant provides help to pay a mains electricity, gas or water bill that is overdue due to a temporary financial crisis. Students that can demonstrate that they are on a low income are also eligible to apply.  Visit the DHHS website to find out more.

Applications open - International Students Emergency Relief Fund: The Victorian Government has announced a $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship as a result of coronavirus. Click here to find out how to apply.

Rent Relief: Rental relief grants of up to $3,000 are available to international students whose income has been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic while in Australia. Read about the rent relief grants here.

Support information

Coronavirus - helpful tips and advice