Page last updated 10 Jul 2020

Study Melbourne is dedicated to supporting our international student community during this challenging time.

We share current and accurate information, and connect you to resources that can help. Through the Study Melbourne Student Centre, we can assist you to access services in the community, and provide free and confidential information, support and practical help.


Utility relief grant scheme: Relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills are available to low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship. The grant provides help to pay a mains electricity, gas or water bill that is overdue due to a temporary financial crisis. Students that can demonstrate that they are on a low income are also eligible to apply.  Visit the DHHS website to find out more.

Latest restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire: Based on the advice of the Chief Health Officer, Stage 3 "Stay at Home" restrictions will be reinstated across metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire from 11:59pm on Wednesday 8 July. Please read the Premier of Victoria’s statement for more information. For more information, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services website.

Applications open - International Students Emergency Relief Fund: The Victorian Government has announced a $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship as a result of coronavirus. Click here to find out how to apply.

Rent Relief: Rental relief grants of up to $2,000 are available to international students whose income has been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic while in Australia. Read about the rent relief grants here.

Working for Victoria program: If you’re legally allowed to work in Australia, you can apply for the Victorian Government’s Working for Victoria program.

Getting help with your tax return: If you need help, you can talk to the financial support services at your education provider or the Australian Tax Office. Click here to find out more about paying tax in Australia.

Support information