If you need help understanding the law, talk to the legal advisers at your university, college or school. The support staff at the Study Melbourne Student Centre may also be able to help.

You may also be able to get help from a community legal centre for specialist legal advice. Community legal centres offer free advice.

Legal help at Study Melbourne Student Centre

If you need help understanding the law or you have a legal problem, Study Melbourne Student Centre support staff can refer you to a legal service that provides the advice you need.

Phone: 1800 056 449 (free call from landline phones)
Email: info@studymelbourne.vic.gov.au
Visit the office: 17 Hardware Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

Talk to a lawyer at SMSC about rights at work

If you have a question about your rights at work, you can make an appointment to see a lawyer at the Study Melbourne Student Centre (SMSC). Lawyers come to the Study Melbourne Student Centre on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week. You can talk to a lawyer for free and your conversation with the lawyer is confidential.

For more information or to make an appointment contact us at the Study Melbourne Student Centre.

Read more about Your rights at work on our website.

Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for detailed information about your rights to pay, holidays and time off as well as what to expect when your job ends.

Understanding the law in Victoria

Everyday-Law is a Victorian website with information about Victoria's legal system. The site is published by Victoria Law Foundation, an independent, not-for-profit organisation funded by the Victorian Legal Services Board + Commissioner.

Read more about the law and Victoria's legal system on the Everyday-Law website.


The Everyday-Law website has information available in languages other than English.

Legal services where you study

Some universities, colleges and schools have legal services on campus. Others may refer you to legal services off-campus.

Ask the student support services staff at your university, college or school.

Victorian legal services

Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal advice. They may also be able to help you in your own language.

Visit the Speak to us in your own language page on the Victoria Legal Aid website.

Telephone: 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5.15 pm.

Community legal centres

Community Legal Centres (CLCs) all around Victoria provide legal advice and support to members of their local community.

Find a community legal centre by suburb or postcode to see which CLC is closest to you.

Some community legal services specialise in particular aspects of law.

Your rights as a consumer - Consumer Action Law Centre

Your rights as a tenant - Tenants Union of Victoria

Refugee and immigration legal issues - Refugee Legal

Specialist legal advice for women - Women's Legal Service Victoria