What the ISWP is for
The International Student Welfare Program is a Victorian Government initiative to fund projects that aim to enhance the experience of international students studying in Victoria.
Since 2014, over 100 amazing projects have been funded. These include:
- research projects—for instance, to understand international students’ experiences in private rental accommodation; to understand the international student entrepreneur community in Victoria
- student summits—for instance, a conference focusing on international women studying in Victoria; a forum to develop the leadership skills of student association members
- wellbeing activities—for instance, a mental health program tailored for international students; activities for students to build connections through sport; an online sexual health education course
- employability skills workshops—for instance, projects designed to solve real-world business problems; a cross-cultural program to assist students with workplace and social integration
- educational and support services—for instance, legal advice for work rights and accommodation; a networking party for students to connect with one another and the community.
If you have a great idea for promoting the experience of post-secondary international students, we would love to know about it!
Types of funding
There are two types of funds.
Category 1: International Student Group Activities
For: Student groups or associations wanting to conduct activities to support the wellbeing of post-secondary international students
Funding amount: Up to $5,000
When it is open for application: Twice a year
Category 2: Wellbeing Partnership Activities
For: A partnership (that is, two or more organisations working together) to deliver activities supporting the wellbeing of post-secondary international students. Applicants must make a matching contribution—$1 to every $1 of grant; contributions can be financial or in-kind.
Funding amount: Up to $75,000
When it is open for application: At least once a year
Who can apply
Organisations applying for funding must:
Organisations include: student groups, student associations, not-for-profit organisations, and businesses.
When to apply
Applications for Category Two funding open on Monday 22 March 2021, and must be submitted via the Business Victoria website by 11.59PM on Friday 23 April 2021.
Find out more about the projects funded in previous years:
2021 International Student Welfare Program - Information Webinar
This webinar outlines the program objectives, eligibility and assessment criteria, and as well as a question and answer session. It includes some of the funded organisations from previous rounds, who have described the application process and provided tips to help your application stand out. If you are interested in applying this year, it is recommended you watch this webinar to assist with completing your online application.
- Webinar recording
- Passcode: GkK2?h=G