Free online and phone support services

If you need to talk to someone about your situation and your overseas student health care provider or institution are unable to help, you can seek help from the following places:

  • Lifeline – 13 11 14
  • Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
  • Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
  • MensLine - 1300 789 978

You can access free online resources to help you look after your mental wellbeing:

  • ReachOutTools that help under 25s with everyday questions through to tough times.
  • Head to Health: Brings together 500+ resources and services from Australia's trusted mental health service providers.
  • Orygen chatsafe: Tools and tips to help young people communicate safely online about suicide
  • Beyond Blue: Provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health.
  • Lifeline Australia: Phone 13 11 14 - Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.
  • MensLine: Offers free professional 24/7 online counselling support for men with concerns about mental health, anger management and family violence.

These services are free of charge and will not affect your enrolment or your visa.

Coping with isolation and loneliness

There are lots of things you can do to connect with others, even from home. Here are some ideas:

  • Talking with friends and family over phone or social media is a great way to stay in touch with people you care about
  • Call the support services and find online communities and clubs at your education provider, perhaps you could even suggest ways students can connect?
  • Join Study Melbourne’s International Students of Melbourne and Victoria Facebook group and and look up Study Melbourne’s online events and workshops calendar.
  • Organise a virtual coffee date with a colleague or professional contact you admire

Racism and Discrimination

There’s no place for xenophobia and racism in Victoria. In fact, it is against the law in Victoria to vilify someone because of their race or religion. If you experience or witness racist behaviour, you can report it to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.

Gambling support

Long before it looks like a problem, gambling can be causing harm.

Harm from gambling isn’t just about losing money. Gambling can affect your self-esteem, relationships, physical and mental health, work and study performance and social life. It can harm not only the person who gambles but also their family, friends, workplaces and community.

Worried about someone else’s gambling?

If you're concerned that someone close to you has a gambling problem, it's best to say something to them, sooner rather than later.

An honest, non-confrontational conversation can start them on the road to recovery. But, the person may feel embarrassed or ashamed and try to avoid talking about it. Or they may deny they have a problem and argue that they don’t need to change.

Tips for starting a conversation with someone about their gambling are available here.

Seeking support from Study Melbourne

Through Study Melbourne, the Victorian Government has developed tailored information to support your wellbeing, and to help you Study Well

Through Study Melbourne, the Victorian Government is offering support including access to online and phone counselling to international students in Victoria.

This is also available to students who are still overseas and those who are in self-isolation in Victoria.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria

For health advice about COVID-19, visit Coronavirus Victoria for the latest information to help you stay safe. Find out about:

Call the Coronavirus Hotline if you have any questions about COVID-19. Phone 1800 675398

Seeking support from your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

If you are a student from overseas on a temporary student visa it is a condition of your visa to maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of your visa. This means you need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and keep your policy up to date as long as you hold this visa.

For international students who do not have adequate insurance coverage, Victorian hospitals will waive the costs of treatment if you need to seek medical advice or treatment for symptoms of coronavirus. This includes waiving payment and debt recovery procedures for ambulance transfers of people suspected to have coronavirus, who are taken to Victorian hospitals for assessment.

These arrangements have been put in place to ensure payment issues are not a barrier for people from overseas with coronavirus symptoms seeking early medical advice. Seeking medical treatment will not affect your visa.

Your insurance provider may be one of the following:

Health Insurer 

Insurers website 

ahm OSHC

134 148

COVID-19 information

Allianz Global Assistance

13 67 42 

COVID-19 information

BUPA Australia

1300 884 235

COVID-19 information

CBHS International Health

1300 174 538

COVID-19 information

Medibank Private

1300 561 012

COVID-19 information


1800 775 204

COVID-19 information