Study Melbourne has partnered with Melbourne Writers Festival to bring your stories to life and celebrate diverse international student experiences and perspectives in Victoria.
Bold New World Storytelling Competition
Congratulations to all our Winners!
Melbourne Writers Festival and Study Melbourne are delighted to have announced the winners for our 2020 storytelling competition 'A Bold New World.'
You can view the winning entries across the various categories here.
Life after Lockdown
What is your vision for your life in Melbourne after the end of Covid-19?
Where there are crises, there are opportunities.
How has your background, personal story or education in Melbourne informed your values and beliefs for the future of the world?
Imagination is the birthplace of a BOLD NEW WORLD.
Write a 500-1000-word story or create a visual work to share your version of the Bold New World.
Submissions can be either in written or visual form. You can write, film, draw or photograph something that represents your vision for your ideal future, personally, professionally or globally.
- Community-led initiatives from Melbourne/my hometown that I love to see thriving to create a better world
- Social practices or local businesses from Melbourne/my hometown that I think can create a more sustainable world
- A world where a systemic change you believe in leads to greater inclusion and diversity
- A positive – small or big – social change from the lockdown that you believe can advance the world or your experience of it
- Written – High School (up to 500 words)
- Are you studying at a high school in Victoria? This category is for you. If you are under 18 you will need to get your parent or guardian’s permission to enter the competition.
- Written – English Language Training (up to 500 words)
- Are you studying to improve your English in Victoria? This category is for you.
- Written – Vocational Education and Training (up to 500 words)
- Are you studying at a TAFE or private training college in Victoria? This category is for you.
- Written – Higher Education (up to 1000 word)
- Are you studying at university in Victoria? This category is for you.
- You don’t need to be a professional, but if drawing, photography or video is more your style, show us your story in visual form! Options include a comic strip (up to 2 A4 pages), photo story board (must be at least three images), video (maximum 5 minutes) or single page illustration.
- If you choose video don’t worry, we are not expecting film quality or length. Content filmed on your smartphone will work, so long as it tells a story.
- This category is open to all international students in Victoria, no matter what you are studying or your institution.
- 14 August – Competition opens – 10am AEST
- 11 September – Competition closes – 10am AEST
- 21 September – Shortlist announced, hosted on MWF website and People’s Choice voting begins – 10am AEST
- 30 September – Voting closes for People’s Choice – 10am AEST
- Mid-October – Award ceremony – shortlist presented with certificates and winners announced. Date to be announced soon!