On this page

  • Include your family in your visa application
  • Find out about schooling for your children
  • Health insurance for your family

If you are planning to bring your family to Australia while you study here, you must list your family members on your application.

Family members who are eligible for this type of visa include your spouse (husband or wife), and your dependent children.

Read more on the Bringing a partner of family page on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If your application is successful, the department grants your family members a Temporary Residents visa.

Schools for your children

If you bring school-age dependent children with you to Victoria, you must enrol them in school. The Victorian Government Schools International Education Program website at study.vic.gov.au is a useful resource.

Read more about applying for your dependent children to go a Victorian school at the How to Apply page on the Victorian Government Schools International Education Program website and choose the Dependent application tab.

Health insurance for your family

You must arrange health insurance for you and your family. Health insurance covers all or part of your expenses if you or a member of your family need to see a doctor or go to hospital while you are studying in Victoria.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Arrange OSHC before you leave your home country. Keep your insurance policy current for the whole of your time in Australia to ensure you are covered for emergency health expenses.

Find out more about Overseas Student Health Cover on the OSHC Australia website.