Melbourne compares only to Boston and London with respect to biomedical research, one of only three cities in the world with two or more universities in the global top 30 biomedicine rankings.
Undergraduate and postgraduate health education in Victoria is principally provided by public universities that deliver skill development and training across a wide range of health disciplines.
Melbourne is a global research and development hub for clinical trials, biotechnology and medical research. Home to one of the world’s top biotechnology clusters, Victoria produces world-leading, commercially focused research with a combined market capitalisation of around USD $45 million.
Melbourne’s biomedical precincts feature university, institute, hospital and industry researchers working in partnership and supported by globally-renowned technology platforms. The biotechnology industry is underpinned by Victoria’s experienced talent pool, R&D excellence and infrastructure backed by Victorian Government investment of over USD $1.3 billion since 1999.
Five of Australia’s largest independent medical research institutes are located in Melbourne:
- Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute – internationally renowned for diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Burnet Institute – Australia's largest institute focused on diseases of vulnerable populations
- Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health – the world’s third largest neuroscience institute
- Murdoch Children’s Research Institute – one of the top five child health research institutes in the world
- Walter and Eliza Hall Institute – Australia’s oldest and premier medical research institute.
Melbourne is also home to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, the largest combined cancer hospital and research institute in Australia.
Read more about Victoria's strong economy and competitive business environment on the Invest Victoria website.
If you're interested in study or research in the areas of health and life sciences, you might like to read more about