Melbourne and regional Victoria offer high-quality, safe student accommodation. From cosmopolitan inner-city living to leafy garden suburbs and beautiful regional centres, there are plenty of fantastic accommodation options to choose from.

How your institution can help

Many universities in Melbourne and regional Victoria have housing officers or residential services to help you understand your options.

You can contact them:

  • before you leave for Victoria - Contact them via email or phone to ask for information
  • when you arrive in Victoria – Book an appointment to ask for support in person.

Temporary accommodation

It is best to book short-term accommodation before you arrive in Australia, and look for longer-term options when you arrive. This allows you time to explore the neighbourhoods and view the properties, and can help you choose an option that best suits you. Temporary accommodation includes budget hostels and hotels.

Rental accommodation

Renting a home means you choose your ideal location, furniture and housemates.

Rent payments

Expect to pay between $175-400 a week for a room in a sharehouse, depending on how many people you share with and where you live.

Remember - rent payment in this type of arrangement usually does not include any bills such as water, electricity, gas and internet.

Signing a lease

If you are renting from an agent or direct from a landlord, you will need to sign a lease. You do need to ensure that you have read and understand the terms and conditions of the agreement and that you are signing the right lease for the rental type.

The Consumer Affairs Victoria website has information about types of rental agreements.

Security bond

You will also need to pay a security deposit – called a bond – to the agent or landlord. They must lodge it with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA).

The agent or landlord cannot access the bond and you cannot use it for rent. If you cause any damage to the property while you are renting it, the landlord can request the RTBA to compensate them at the end of the lease.

Help for renters

If you are an international student living in Melbourne and paying for accommodation, you have the same rights and obligations as everyone else living in Victoria. This includes:

  • what you need to do when it comes to paying a bond
  • the minimum standards to expect of a rooming house and its rooms
  • what to do if there is a problem with where you are staying.

Our International Student Employment and Accommodation Legal Service is a free, confidential and independent legal service, provided by lawyers, to help international students.

The service is available at the Study Melbourne Student Centre, 17 Hardware Lane, Melbourne. For more information or to make an appointment, please contact our friendly staff by email or call 1800 056 449.

You can also contact the Tenants Union of Victoria or Consumer Affairs Victoria for more information about your accommodation rights and responsibilities.

International Students – Renting in Victoria is a video from Consumer Affairs Victoria. See more information about renting in Victoria on the International Students page on their website.

Read a transcript on the CAV website

Managed student accommodation

If you want to live on or near campus, consider managed student accommodation and apartments. This style of housing lets you live independently with support from the managed student accommodation provider. You won’t have to worry about furniture, electricity, gas or telephone, as these are already provided.

Apartments are often located in blocks that include shared facilities, so you also have the benefits of living in a community. Some managed student accommodation complexes house over 500 students.

The various types are:

If you want more information on what is best-practice student accommodation and who are the good quality operators, check out the various bodies representing accommodation providers including the Student Accommodation Association (SAA) and the Asia Pacific Student Accommodation Association (APSAA) and see who their members are.

Search tips for finding student accommodation

Try searching for phrases like 'student accommodation in Melbourne', join the International Students of Melbourne and Victoria facebook group or visit websites like and

Furniture and facilities

Most apartments offer a private or twin room with a shared kitchen and bathroom.

Rooms are often fully furnished with a bed, mattress, wardrobe, study desk and chair. Generally, you also have access to common rooms, laundry facilities and internet.
Some managed student accommodation facilities provide a regular cleaning service, on-site staff and social activities.

Costs vary, but you can expect to pay between $250-$500 a week including utilities and sometimes internet.

Help and advice

Friendly staff at the Study Melbourne Student Centre can provide information, professional support and referral to local services and community resources.

Your renting and acommodation rights in Australia are protected by law. Make sure you are well informed of your rights and how to avoid rental scams by visiting the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

If you’d like to read more about accommodation options and anything else related to being an international student in Australia, make sure to check out the Insider Guides website.

Living with a family (homestay)

A homestay involves living with a family in their home. A homestay gives you a family support network who can help you ease into your new life in Australia.

When you stay with a family in a homestay, you will have your own furnished bedroom and most meals provided. You will also have internet and other utilities included.

You will not have to clean the home, but you will have to keep your room tidy. Your responsibilities and independence depend on the family you stay with. It’s also important to note that the homestay may be further away from campus than other types of accommodation.

A homestay costs between $250-$300 a week. The cost depends on facilities, location, and the number of meals the family provides.

Temporary accommodation

When you first arrive in Australia, temporary or short term accommodation gives you time to explore permanent living options. Book short term accommodation before you arrive.

Many universities in Melbourne and regional Victoria have housing officers or residential services to help students find out what their options are.

Contact them before you leave your home country or book an appointment to meet with campus advisors when you arrive in Victoria.

Budget accommodation - hostels

Hostels in Melbourne and Victoria offer cheap, short term accommodation. Most have a mix of private rooms and dormitory accommodation.

Tip: To find out more about hostels and budget accommodation, check out websites like YHA Australia at

Discounted online rates - hotels

For lower-cost hotels, try booking online on discount accommodation websites. Some websites give discounts for booking well in advance, while others offer last-minute discounts.

Tip: Websites such as and offer advance and last-minute discounts.

Luxury hotels and accommodation

Book high-end hotels and accommodation through many sites on the web.

Tip: Do an internet search using keywords like 'luxury hotels Melbourne' or 'luxury accommodation Victoria'.