On this page

  • Temporary accommodation
  • Rental accommodation
  • Student accommodation
  • Living with a family

Melbourne and regional Victoria offer high quality, safe student accommodation from the cosmopolitan inner city living to leafy garden suburbs and beautiful regional centres.

Temporary Accommodation

When you first arrive in Australia, temporary or short term accommodation gives you time to explore permanent living options. Book short term accommodation before you arrive.

Many universities in Melbourne and regional Victoria have housing officers or residential services to help students find out what their options are.

Contact them before you leave your home country or book an appointment to meet with campus advisors when you arrive in Victoria.

Budget accommodation - hostels

Hostels in Melbourne and Victoria offer cheap, short term accommodation. Most have a mix of private rooms and dormitory accommodation.

Tip: To find out more about hostels and budget accommodation, do a search using words like ’hostels melbourne’.

Discounted online rates - hotels

For lower cost hotels, try booking online on discount accommodation sites. Some sites have discounts for booking well in advance. Some websites offer last-minute discounts.

Tip: To find out more about lower hotel rates and discounted accommodation sites, do a search using words like 'discount hotels melbourne'.

Luxury hotels and accommodation

Book high-end hotels and accommodation through many sites on the web.

Tip: Search using words like ’luxury hotels melbourne’.

Rental accommodation

Renting a home means you choose the location, people and furniture. You are also responsible for arranging and paying for utilities - electricity, gas, telephone and internet.

Rent payments

Expect to pay from $150 a week for rent, depending on how many people you share with and where you live.

Security bond

If you are renting from an agent or direct from a landlord, you sign a lease with them. You also give a security deposit – called a bond – to the agent or landlord. They must lodge it with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA).

The agent or landlord cannot access the bond and you cannot use it for rent. If you cause any damage to the property while you are renting it, the landlord can request the RTBA to compensate them at the end of the lease.

Help for renters

If you are renting and you want information or advice about your rights and responsibilities contact the Tenants Union of Victoria or visit the International Students page on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

International Students – Renting in Victoria is a video from Consumer Affairs Victoria. See more information about renting in Victoria on the International Students page on their website.

Read a transcript on the CAV website

Student accommodation

If you want to live on or near campus, consider student accommodation and apartments. This style of housing lets you live independently. Apartments are often located in blocks that include shared facilities so you also have the benefits of living in a community.

You won’t have to worry about furniture, electricity, gas or telephone, and you can live to your own schedule.

Some student accommodation complexes house over 400 students.

Furniture and facilities

Most apartments offer a private or twin room with a shared kitchen and bathroom.

Rooms are often fully furnished with a bed, mattress, wardrobe, study desk and chair. Generally you also have access to common rooms, laundry facilities and internet.

Some provide a regular cleaning service, on-site staff and social activities.

Costs vary and you can expect to pay from $200 a week including utilities and sometimes internet.

Accommodation availability and cost

Find student accommodation and learn more about costs and facilities on the internet.

Search tip

Try a search term like 'student accommodation in Melbourne' or look at websites such as student.com and casastudent.com

Living with a family

When an international student living with a family in their home it’s called a homestay. A homestay gives you a family support network ready to introduce you to Australian society.

When you stay with a family on homestay you will have your own furnished bedroom. The family provides most meals. They will also have internet and other utilities. You will not have to clean the home but you will have to keep your room tidy.

Homestay costs from $250 a week. The cost depends on facilities, location and the number of meals the family provides.

Your responsibilities and independence depend on the family you stay with. The homestay may also be further away from campus than other types of accommodation.

Help and advice

The Study Melbourne Student Centre staff can provide information, professional support and referral to local services and community resources.