Legal help at the Study Melbourne Hub

If you need help understanding the law or you have a legal problem, the Study Melbourne Hub can help you.

From making rental agreements, being told to move out of your house, to concerns about your job, not feeling safe in a relationship or being unable to pay a fine. There are a number of stressful and confusing situations you may encounter as an international student, but support is always available.

Phone: 1800 056 449 (free call from landline phones)

For other legal issues, the Study Melbourne Hub can connect you with a Community Legal Centre in your local area, that provides free confidential legal advice to international students.

International Student Employment and Accommodation Legal Service (ISEALS)

The Study Melbourne Hub can make an appointment for you to get legal advice about your employment or accommodation concerns at the International Student Employment and Accommodation Legal Service (ISEALS). This is a specialised service, designed for international students in Victoria.

Meet the ISEALS team and see how these services can help you

Useful links

  1. Everyday-Law is a Victorian website with information about Victoria's legal system. The site is published by Victoria Law Foundation, an independent, not-for-profit organisation funded by the Victorian Legal Services Board + Commissioner.
  2. Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for detailed information about your rights to pay, holidays and time off as well as what to expect when your job ends.
  3. You can also contact the Tenants Union of Victoria or Consumer Affairs Victoria for more information about your accommodation rights and responsibilities.
  4. Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal advice. They may also be able to help you in your own language. Visit the Speak to us in your own language page on the Victoria Legal Aid website. Telephone: 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5.15 pm.
  5. Community Legal Centres (CLCs) all around Victoria provide legal advice and support to members of their local community.Find a community legal centre by suburb or postcode to see which CLC is closest to you.
    1. Your rights as a consumer - Consumer Action Law Centre
    2. Your rights as a tenant - Tenants Union of Victoria
    3. Refugee and immigration legal issues - Refugee Legal
    4. Specialist legal advice for women - Women's Legal Service Victoria
  6. The Inner Melbourne Community Legal Information Resource is a free tool for international students living in Victoria. It provides information on legal issues concerned with where you live, work and study. The resource is available in English, Spanish (Español), Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt) and Chinese (中文).
  7. Fact Sheet from JobWatch provides an overview of the minimum employment rights of international students who live and work in Victoria