There are a number of steps you can take if you are experiencing financial hardship:
- Ask your education provider about what support is available for international students during this time. Many Australian education institutions are supporting students through Hardship Funds, extended pastoral support and innovative partnerships with community organisations.
- Speak to a financial counsellor, who will listen to your concerns and help you with things like bills or fines, if you are:
- struggling to pay gas or electricity or have had your phone disconnected
- being evicted from your house
- paying for car damage if you don’t have insurance.
- To find free and confidential financial counselling services you can:
- speak to your education provider’s student union or student services
- visit the ASIC MoneySmart website
- call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 for over-the-phone support or referrals to local financial counsellors.
- Contact your Embassy or local Consular Office to see if help is available.