Financial hardship

There are a number of steps you can take if you are experiencing financial hardship:

  1. Ask your education provider about what support is available for international students during this time. Many Australian education institutions are supporting students through Hardship Funds, extended pastoral support and innovative partnerships with community organisations.
  2. Speak to a financial counsellor, who will listen to your concerns and help you with things like bills or fines, if you are:
    1. struggling to pay gas or electricity or have had your phone disconnected
    2. being evicted from your house
    3. paying for car damage if you don’t have insurance
    4. experiencing money problems due to gambling.
  3. To find free and confidential financial counselling services you can:
    1. speak to your education provider’s student union or student services
    2. visit the ASIC MoneySmart website
    3. call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 for over-the-phone support or referrals to local financial counsellors.
    4. call Gambler’s Help on 1800 858 858 to book a free and confidential financial counselling session if you are experiencing money problems due to gambling.
  4. Contact your Embassy or local Consular Office to see if help is available.

Money problems due to gambling

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by money worries due to gambling or betting, there are many things you can do.

Financial counselling

Book a session with a Gambler’s Help financial counsellor as soon as possible. If you get help early, you will have many more options.

You can access a financial counsellor through Gambler’s Help as many times as you need to. Appointments can be in person, by phone or video link.

Financial counselling is free and confidential. It won’t affect your visa and interpreters are available.

Call Gambler’s Help on 1800 858 858 anytime to book a free and confidential session, or request a callback if you’d like someone to contact you.

Visit the Gambler’s Help financial counselling page for more information.


Reset ( and 100 Day Challenge ( are free and confidential apps to help people understand and manage their gambling.