On this page

  • How your consulate or embassy can help
  • Find your consulate or embassy
  • When your consulate cannot help

Many countries have an embassy in Australia. Foreign embassies are all in Canberra, Australia's capital city. Your country's embassy is their diplomatic office in Australia.

Some countries also have consulates in our state capital cities. Consulates are an office of public administration. Your consulate provides administrative services in Australia to the citizens of your country.

When to contact a consulate or embassy

Consulates open during normal Australian business hours. Foreign embassies and consulates are closed on Australian and Victorian public holidays, as well as home country public holidays.

Contact your country's consulate if you want to:

  • renew or replace your passport or other official documents
  • report to your country any births, deaths, marriages, divorces and adoptions that happened in Australia.

Your consulate may also be able to help if you:

  • are in distress or emergency situations where the Australian authorities cannot help
  • are arrested, seriously injured or a victim of crime
  • need information about social security in your country
  • have questions about national service obligations in your country
  • need to contact your family in an emergency
  • need travel advice for travel to your country.

Find your consulate or embassy

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade lists consulates and embassies on their website.

See the list of consulates in Victoria on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

See the list of foreign embassies on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Australian visas

To find out how to apply for a visa to come to Australia, talk to the Australian Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent. Your country's consulates and embassies cannot help you with visas to live, work and study in Australia.

When your consulate cannot help

Most embassies and consulates cannot:

  • offer legal advice or intervene in private court or legal matters
  • pay your fines or legal expenses or medical bills
  • arrange travel, banking or shipping and postage
  • provide translation, interpreter, telephone or internet services
  • loan you money.